Close Non-WebPT Billing 835s
When you first begin using WebPT Billing, you will still be working in your old software to manage claims billed from that system. During this period, you'll receive 835s in WebPT Billing for dates of service submitted from your old software. Let's discuss how to spot these ERAs and what to do with them.
For this example, your company started using WebPT Billing on June 1, 2018. From the Release 835 page:
- Locate the 835(s) you want to auto-post and place a checkmark in the Release column.
- At the bottom of this section, enter a Deposit Date and a Batch Number. Remember, batch numbers are very useful when balancing. Click Release.
- After the 835 has been processed and the page refreshed, scroll to the Error Reports section at the bottom of the page.
- To see what did not post, click the blue Error Report link next to the desired 835 to open the full report in a new window.
The error report shows the individual CPT codes within the 835, and an Error Description for each line. Payments for dates of service belonging in your previous system typically have Patient account was not found or Account, Date of Service, CPT code, and units combination was not found listed in the Error Desc column.
There are a few ways to determine that this 835 is for claims submitted through your old software:
- Account # - If the listed number does not start with your Company Code (i.e. ZZC), then the claim was sent using your old software. As we can see in the example above, the account numbers end a letter. In WebPT Billing, account numbers will only have a numeric value as the last number.
- Date of Service - In this example, the visit clearly took place before your company started using WebPT Billing.
For these 835s:
- Post the lines in your old billing software.
- From the Error Reports section, place a checkmark in the Close column for the corresponding 835 and click Close.
You may also encounter an 835 that contains payment details for claims submitted out of WebPT Billing and your old billing software. For these, post each line in the system that it was billed from. It is recommended that you post the entire 835 at once so you can verify that the totals match.
For example, you receive an 835 with a payment of $100, but only 3 CPT codes (totaling $25) were billed from WebPT Billing.
- Release the 835. The 3 lines ($25) that belong in WebPT Billing will be posted for you.
- Scroll to the Error Reports section and open the report to see what didn't post.
- Post the remaining lines ($75) into your old billing software.
- Verify that the total amount posted between both systems ($100) equals the original 385 Total.
- Close and Update the 835.
|835 Total||WebPT Billing Total||Old Software Total|