Here, you'll learn how to post payments with a simple checkbox, how to set up your Payer Rules, and work the Release 835s error reports.
WebPT Billing has the ability to receive electronic Explanation of Benefits (EOB), which are referred to as Electronic Remittance Advices (ERAs) or 835s. These 835s can be released and the payments are automatically posted to the accounts listed for each payer. You can release multiple 835s at once. WebPT Billing generates error reports if there are any posting discrepancies or issues.
Before You Begin
Payer rules must be established before any 835s can be released. 835s with a status of No Payer Rule Established, indicate that the payer rules have not been established for that payer and will not be available for release. If a user has permission to create payer rules, then click on No Payer Rule Established link to open a new drawer and create a Payer Rule for the Inbound ID. For more information, please see: Payer Rules Setup.
- Open the Payments menu and select Release 835s.
- The Company field is populated with the company name you are logged into. To release an 835 for another company, you must switch to that company in order to proceed. Enter a Check Number or an 835 Date Range. Both can be entered, but only one is required. Click Search to view a list of available 835s based on your search criteria. Tip: Leave your search criteria blank to show all open 835s.
- 835 Date Range: 835 date or date range.
- Check Number: Payment check number.
- Inbound Payer: Payer name.
- Load Date: Date the 835 was received into the system.
In this section, check the Release box and use the Process button to post an 835. WebPT Billing automatically completes error checking and will expose any issues in an Error Report, discussed in the next section. Remember: You can sort by clicking on a column header.
- Release: Check to release the 835.
- Close: Check to close the 835 without posting (this is helpful for 835s that you've posted in your previous system). No error reports will be generated.
- Deposit Date: Enter a deposit date for the batch you are posting. Remember, all reports in WebPT Billing run based on deposit date.
- Batch Number: Enter a batch number, this is an optional field
- Process: After you make all your selections (using the Release or Close checkbox), click Process to complete the action.
Release 835 Page - Error Reports
Once an 835 is released and processed, an 835 will generate an error at the bottom of the page if any claim does not pass posting rules (see below). Only 835s that you have released display on this report. Each user that releases 835s will see different data based on what they have released. Error Reports will also populate when an ERA/check has been processed, or simply by refreshing the page. For a list of the errors you should work on and how to resolve them, review the Error Report Cheat Sheet.
Tip: 835s that you have closed will not generate an error report.
835 Posting Rules
In order for an 835 to auto-post in WebPT Billing from the Release 835 page, it must meet the following criteria.
The claim must have:
- A WebPT Billing account number: If a WebPT Billing account number is not listed on the EOB, it will appear on the Error Report. This typically occurs with payments that belong in your other system (during your transition period).
- A Date of Service that is present in WebPT Billing.
- CPT codes have to match and exist in WebPT Billing.
- Payment tied to a specific CPT code.
- Paid units that match the billed units.