The Batch Adjustments page allows you to post a Standard Adjustment or a Group Adjustment without needing to use the Batch Payments page.
- Standard Adjustment: Post adjustments by entering in the allowed amount and determine what to do with the remaining balance.
- Group Adjustment: Quickly adjust off the remaining balance of the charge line with Group Adjustment. Or, use the Group Transfer option to move all remaining balances to the next responsible party.
- Open the Payments menu and select Batch Adjustments.
- If you have not already done so, this page will prompt you to select a patient. Click the magnifying glass to search for a patient.
- If the patient has a Payment Sticky Note applied to their account, you'll be able to see it at the top of the page.
- Enter your Search Criteria, then click Search.
- Posting Type: Select Standard Adjustment from the drop-down menu.
- Deposit Date: Most reports run based on Deposit Date. Organizationally, you should come to an agreement on what this date should be (i.e. the day you’re posting the payment, the date of the EOB, etc.). Whatever you decide, this field should be used uniformly throughout. Note: To use today’s date, type in 00 and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Batch: This field is optional, but can segment out your reporting when balancing. If you used a batch to post the initial payment, ensure the batch number is the same here. All balancing reports already pull by user initials, so it is not necessary to include initials in this field. Decide on a consistent Batch Number format, as this will allow you to be strategic about reporting. Some members use the Batch field to include the payer, so you can run reports by payer.
- Total Adjustment Amount: Enter the total adjustment amount. As you post each service line, this amount will reduce by the amount posted. You’ll want to ensure this amount is zero when you’re done.
- Payment Type: This field defaults to Check, but you can use the drop-down to select another option.
- Check/Credit Card Auth Number: Enter the check number or credit card authorization number of the payment. This is not a required field but is recommended for balancing.
- Adjustment Code: For the Insurance column, if you select All or PATIENT you will manually need to select an Adjustment Code. Otherwise, this field automatically populates based on the insurance selected.
- Insurance: Select the insurance associated with the charges you are adjusting.
- Date of Service: Enter the Date of Service range from the EOB.
- Show All Charges: Check this box to display all charges, including those with a zero balance.
- The Transaction Detail displays the charges that match your search criteria. Note: You can navigate through every field for the Transaction Detail using the right/left and up/down arrow keys.
- Paid By Insurance: Auto-populates with the insurance that the payment is from.
- Allowed, Adjustment, and Transfer: Enter the allowed amount from the EOB and press the tab key on your keyboard to auto-populate the Adjustment and Transfer amounts as well as the totals at the bottom.
- Transfer to Payer: Click the drop-down to select the responsible party for the remaining balance.
- Adjustment Qualifier: The qualifier selected should match what is listed on the EOB. Common qualifiers are CO (Contractual Obligation), PR (Patient Responsibility), and OA (Other Adjustment.)
- Adjustment Code: The reason selected should match what is listed on the EOB. Adjustment Qualifiers and Adjustment Reason Codes are listed together on EOBs separated by a hyphen. Example: CO-45.
- Transaction Code: Select the option: 1 (Deductible), 2 (Coinsurance), or 3 (Copay).
- After you have entered all the information for your adjustment, click Save. You will receive a confirmation message.
The Group Adjustment posting type allows you to adjust off the remaining balance on charges with a quick Yes/No selection. Note: You can also complete a Group Transfer from this page, so instead of adjusting off the remaining balance, you can transfer it to the next responsible party.
- Enter your desired Search Criteria, then click Search. For complete information on each field, see the Standard Adjustments section above.
- Posting Type: Select Group from the drop-down menu.
- Transaction Type: Click the dropdown and select Group Adjustment or Group Transfer. Select Group Transfer if you want to transfer to the balance instead of adjusting it.
- Let's review the Group Adjustment function first.
- Enter Y in the Yes/No field and use the arrow keys to complete the first line. Because there is no transfer amount, you can leave the Transfer to Payer as Select. Use the appropriate adjustment qualifier and code for the charge lines.
- Then, use the arrow keys to move down the charge lines, entering Y for each one.
- The system will automatically post the adjustment amount until the value entered in the Total Adjustment Amount field is zero.
- If your adjustment amount only partially covers a charge, ensure you select the appropriate Transfer to Payer option. See the Group Adjustment Confirmation section below.
- Next, let's review Group Transfer. This functions similarly as Group Adjustment, except the Adjustment amount defaults to $0.00, and the Transfer field contains the full remaining balance.
- Enter Y in the Yes/No field and use the arrow keys to complete the first line. Select the appropriate Transfer to Payer option. Because there is no Adjustment Amount, you can leave the Adjustment Qualifier set to NA.
3. After you enter all of the required fields, click Save to complete the transaction.
Group Adjustment Confirmation
The system completes a validation check for Group Adjustments to determine if the Total Adjustment Amount entered in the search criteria is equal to the total of the Adjustment column in the Transaction Details. If they do not match, you will receive an error message and must make the necessary corrections before trying to save it again.
If you attempt to add an adjustment that is less than the amount you entered in the Total Adjustment Amount filed, the system will ask you if you want to post an over-adjustment. Click OK if you would like the system to proceed with the adjustment.
If you attempt to enter an adjustment that exceeds the amount you entered in the Total Adjustment Amount field, the system will ask you if you want to correct the amount that was entered. Click OK to allow the system to proceed with the adjustment.